Available for purchase next week, the Sony a7II is the “world’s first full-frame camera to feature 5-axis image stabilization“, helping make handheld camera shaking a thing of the past.
This new image stabilization compensates for movement in five different directions, effectively correcting and shaking due to the operator, lens and more. The a7II’s 24.3 MP sensor helps improve stabilization further, granting stabilization “equivalent to up to 4.5 steps faster shutter speed of correction“. Sony also makes a point to note that all A-Mount lenses work with the stabilization, as well as third party lenses without stabilization. This means that the awesome Loxia lenses from Carl Zeiss would make a great complement to the new camera.
Beyond the powerful new stabilization feature, here’s a snapshot of what the Sony a7II has to offer.
- 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization for still images and movies
- Use all of your favorite lenses without camera shake or blur
- Full Frame 24.3 MP resolution w/ Gapless On-chip Lens Design
- Fast Hybrid AF w/ phase-detection; 30% quicker than a7
- Compatible w/ Sony’s E-mount and other lenses with adaptors
- High contrast 2.4-million dot OLED EVF for eye-level framing
- 50Mbps XAVC S 1920×1080 at 60P, 1280×720 at 120P
- 3.0″ tiltable LCD for easy high and low angle framing
- Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi® or NFC
- PC control w/ remote video capture control
The a7II will be available on December 9th for $1,700 (body only). A kit with the FE 28-70mm F3.5 – F5.6 OSS zoom lens will also be available for $2,000.
There’s more to the Sony a7II in the press release below, but be sure to visit Store.Sony.com for more.
SAN DIEGO, Nov. 26, 2014 – Sony Electronics, a worldwide leader in digital imaging, has today introduced another exciting addition to its full-frame α7 lineup, the α7II (model ILCE-7M2).
The new mirrorless interchangeable lens camera is the world’s first full-frame camera to feature 5-axis image stabilization1, allowing it to compensate for camera movement in five different directions to produce extremely sharp handheld images.
The α7II model is equipped with a 24.3 effective megapixel 35mm full-frame sensor and adds 30% faster AF responsiveness4, enriched video shooting capabilities, redesigned ergonomics and more.
“The new α7II is simply the latest example of the impressive innovation we’re bringing to the industry, particularly in the mirrorless space” said Neal Manowitz, director of the α interchangeable lens camera business at Sony. “We’re continuing to push the boundaries of what can be accomplished with a full-frame sensor, consistently delivering ‘world’s first’ technologies that no other cameras – DSLR or otherwise – can accomplish.”
New Image Stabilization Technology
The innovative 5-axis image stabilization on the new α7II detects and corrects camera shake along five axes during shooting, including angular shake (pitch and yaw) that tends to occur with a telephoto lens, shift shake (X and Y axes) which becomes noticeable as magnification increases, and rotational shake (roll) that often affects shots at night or when recording video. The 24.3 MP full frame sensor moves to accommodate all of these types of shake, with stabilization equivalent to up to 4.5 steps faster shutter speed of correction2.
Additionally, the 5-axis stabilization works cooperatively with Sony α lenses with optical steady shot (OSS) to provide maximum stabilization and clarity, while also performing admirably with Sony α A-mount lenses and third party lenses3without on-board stabilization. Effects of the stabilization can be previewed via live-view on the LCD or OLED viewfinder of the camera.
Speedy, Accurate Autofocus with Hybrid AF
The new α7II employs a 117-point focal plane phase detection AF sensor with 25 contrast detection AF points, with approximately 30% faster AF responsiveness and 1.5 times more accurate subject tracking than the original α7 model4thanks to a series of new algorithms for detecting subject distance and predicting motion. Additionally, AF and now automatic exposure (AE) is provided while tracking subjects during high-speed continuous shooting at up to 5 fps.
Enriched HD Video Functionality
The new full-frame camera shares the powerful BIONZ X image processing engine with several other high-end Sony cameras, and adds a variety of advanced video functionality including the addition of XAVC S5 codec, which records video at a high data rate of 50 Mbps with advanced compression for impressive video quality.
For the professional and prosumer customers, the α7II adds picture profiles for convenient in-camera tone adjustments and supports the S-Log2 gamma function which preserves a wide dynamic range. It also includes Time Code (useful for editing), Rec Control (for synced recording with external recorder) and dual video recording.
Design, Controls, Wi-Fi® and New Accessories
Ergonomically, compared to the original α7, the α7II model has a larger shutter button that has been moved closer to the front of the camera for optimal finger position. It is constructed with sturdy magnesium alloy on the top, front cover and internal panels for a sturdier, more solid feel in the hand, and boasts about a 40% faster start-up time compared to the α7 camera.
The new α7II camera is Wi-Fi® and NFC compatible and fully functional with Sony’s PlayMemories application available for Android™ and iOS platforms. New accessories designed for use with the new α7II include the VG-C2EM vertical grip and LCS-ELCB soft carrying case.
New α A-mount 70-300mm F4.5 – F5.6 G SSMII Telephoto Zoom Lens
Sony has also introduced a new telephoto zoom lens for it’s α A-mount line, the 70-300mm F4.5 – F5.6 G SSMII (model SAL70300G2). Ideal for outdoor sports and wildlife photography as well as tightly cropped portraits, the lens features approximately 4x faster AF tracking than the current lens model 70-300mm F4.5 – F5.6 G SSM. It also has Nano AR coating to minimize flare and ghosting and improve rendering, and is dust and moisture resistant.
Development of New α A-mount Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSMII and Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA
Sony has also announced the development of the α A-mount Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSMII and the Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSMII lenses. The second generation of these acclaimed lenses will improve upon the speed of AF tracking, reduce flare and ghosting and incorporate a dust and moisture resistant design.
Pricing and Availability
The Sony α7II full-frame mirrorless interchangeable lens camera will be available beginning on December 9th as body-only for about $1700, or as a kit with the FE 28-70mm F3.5 – F5.6 OSS zoom lens (model SEL2870) for about $2000.
The new 70-300mm F4.5 – F5.6 G SSMII telephoto zoom lens for α A-mount cameras will be available for about $1150 in February 2015.
Pricing for the Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSMII and the Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSMII lenses has not yet been determined, however target ship timing is Spring 2015.
The new camera, lenses and compatible accessories will be available at Sony retail stores (www.store.sony.com) and other authorized dealers nationwide.
- Face Detection : On, Off, Face Registration, Face Selection; maximum eight faces detected
- Smile Shutter™ technology : Smile shutter (selectable from 3 steps)
- Camera Type : Interchangeable lens digital camera
- Lens Compatibility : Sony E-mount lenses
- Still Image Playback Options : Single (with or without shooting information Y RGB histogram & highlight/shadow warning), 9/25-frame index view, Enlarged display mode (L: 18.8x, M: 12.3x, S: 9.4x), Panorama (Standard): 25.6x, Panorama (Wide): 38.8x, Auto Review (10 / 5 / 2 sec, Off), Image orientation (Auto / Manual / Off selectable), Slideshow, Panorama scrolling, Folder selection (Date / Still / MP4 / AVCHD / XAVC S), Forward / Rewind (movie), Delete, Protect
- Continuous Shooting Speed : Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 5 fps, Lo: max. 2.5 fps
- Flash Sync Speed : 1/250 sec.
- Shutter Speeds : Still images:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4(1/3 steps) up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Self-timer : 2-sec. or 10-sec. delay, selectable
- Shutter Type : Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane shutter
- Drive Mode : Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi/Lo selectable), Self-timer (10/2 sec delay selectable), Self-timer (Cont.) (with 10 sec delay 3/5 frames selectable), Bracketing (Cont., Single, White Balance, DRO)
- D-Range Optimizer : Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto / Level (1-5)), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure Difference Level (1-6 EV, 1.0 EV step))
- Auto Exposure Lock : Available with AE lock button. Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Can be disabled from the Menu
- Exposure Compensation : +/- 5.0 EV (1/3 EV or1/2 EV steps selectable) with exposure compensation dial : +/- 3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- Picture Effect(s) : 13 modes: Posterization (Color, (B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R, G, B, Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera (Normal, Cool, Warm, Green, Magenta), Soft High-key , Soft Focus (High, Mid, Low), HDR Painting (High, Mid, Low), Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature(Auto, Top, Middle(H), Bottom, Right, Middle(V), Left), Watercolor, Illustration(High, Mid, Low)
- Exposure Settings : AUTO (iAUTO, Superior Auto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M)), Sweep Panorama, Scene Selection
- Scene Mode(s) : Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti Motion Blur
- Exposure Bracketing : Bracket: Cont. / Bracket: Single, With 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, 3.0 EV increments, 3/5 frames selectable
- Metering Modes : Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Metering Sensitivity : EV -1 to EV 20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Metering : 1200-zone evaluative metering
- ISO : Still images: ISO 100-25600 equivalent (1/3 EV step), (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit) Movies: ISO 200-25600 equivalent (1/3 EV step) / AUTO (ISO 200-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- Noise Reduction : Long exposure NR: On / Off , available at shutter speeds longer than 1 sec. High ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off
- Creative Style : Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box (1-6), (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps))
- Color Temperature : 2500 to 9900K & Color Filter (G7 to M7: 15-steps, A7 to B7: 15-steps)
- White Balance Mode : Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluorescent (Warm White / Cool White / Day White / Daylight) / Flash / Underwater/ Color Temperature (2500 to 9900K) & Color filter (G7 to M7: 15-steps, A7 to B7: 15-steps) / Custom AWB micro adjustment: G7 to M7 (15-steps), A7 to B7 (15-steps) Bracketing: 3 frames, H/L selectable
- AE Lock : Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Available with AE lock button. (On/Off/Auto)
- Flash Modes : Flash off, Auto flash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync, Rear Sync., Red-eye reduction (on/off selectable), Wireless, Hi-speed sync.
- Flash Bracketing : 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 EV steps, 3/5 frames selectable
- Flash Metering System : Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Compensation : +/- 3.0 EV (switchable between 1/3 and 1/2 EV steps)
- Focus Features : Eye-start AF (only with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 attached (Sold separately)), Lock-on AF, Eye AF, Predictive control, Focus lock
- Manual Focus Assist : 35mm full frame: 5.9x, 11.7x APS-C: 3.8x, 7.7x
- AF Illuminator : Built-in LED, Range: Approx. 0.3m – approx. 3.0m (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS attached)
- Focus Sensitivity : EV-1 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Focus Area : Wide (117 points (phase-detection AF), 25 points (contrast-detection AF)) / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S / M / L) / Lock-on AF ( Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S / M / L))
- Focus Points : 35mm full frame: 117 points (phase-detection AF) APS-C: 99 points (phase-detection AF) / 25 points (conotrast-detection AF)
- AF Modes : Single-shot AF (AF-S), Continuous AF (AF-C), Direct Manual Focus (DMF), Manual Focus
- Focus System : Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF / contrast-detection AF)
- AF micro adjustment : Yes, (Sold separately) with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4
- Pixel Gross : 24.7 Megapixels (approx.)
- Color Filter System : RGB primary color filters
- Effective Picture Resolution : 24.3 Megapixels (approx.)
- Anti Dust : Charge protection coating on optical filter and image sensor shift mechanism
- Imaging Sensor : 35mm full frame Exmor CMOS sensor (35.8 x 23.9mm)
- Vertical Grip Connector : Yes
- NFC : Yes (NFC Forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing)
- HDMI Terminal : HDMI® micro connector (Type-D)
- HD Output : HDMI micro connector (Type-D) BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI) PhotoTV HD 4K Still Image PB
- Remote Commander : Yes, via optional RMT-DSLR2 (sold separately)
- Wi-Fi : Yes (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band) )
- Multi Interface Shoe : Yes
- Headphone Jack : Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
- Microphone Input : Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
- Peaking : Yes (Level setting: High / Mid / Low / Off, Color: White / Red / Yellow)
- Real-time image adjustment display : Yes (On / Off)
- LCD Type : 3.0” (7.5cm) TFT (1,228,800 dots)
- Customization : Graphic Display, Display All Info, No Disp. Info, Digital Level Gauge, Histogram, For viewfinder
- Angle Adjustment : Up by approx. 107 degrees, Down by approx. 41 degrees
- Zebra : Yes
- Brightness Control : Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Grid Display : Yes (Rule of 3rds Grid / Square Grid / Diag. + Square Grid / Off)
- Clock Function,Setting : Yes
- Area Setting : Yes
- Eye-Fi ready : Yes
- Shop Front Mode : Yes
- Help guide : Yes
- Battery Type : One rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50
- Number of Still Images : Approx. 270 shots (Viewfinder) / Approx. 350 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- External Power : AC Adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
- Power Consumption (in View Finder Operation) : Still images: approx. 3.5W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached) Movies: approx. 4.2W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Compatible standards : Exif Print, Print Image Matching III, DPOF setting
- Panorama Still Image Size : Horizontal Wide: 12,416 x 1,856 (23M) Horizontal Std: 8,192 x 1,856 (15M) Vertical Wide: 5,536 x 2,160 (12M) Vertical Std: 3,872 x 2,160 (8.4M)
- Microphone/Speaker : Built-in stereo microphone or XLR-K2M / ECM-XYST1M (sold separately) Built-in, monaural speaker
- Video Resolution : XAVC S Full HD – 1920 x 1080/60p@50Mbps Full HD – 1920 x 1080/30p@50Mbps Full HD – 1920 x 1080/24p@50Mbps *Class 10+ SDXC memory card is required for recording in XAVC S AVCHD™:
PS – 1920 x 1080/60p@28Mbps
FX – 1920 x 1080/60i@24Mbps
FH – 1920 x 1080/60i@17Mbps
FX – 1920 x 1080/24p@24Mbps
FH – 1920 x 1080/24p@17MbpsMP4:
HD – 1440 x 1080/30p@12Mbps
VGA – 640 x 480/30p@3Mbps
- Audio Format : XAVC S: LPCM 2ch. AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3), 2ch., Dolby Digital Stereo Creator MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC, 2ch.
- Video Format : XAVC S / AVCHD™ format Ver. 2.0 compliant / MP4
- Video Mode : XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 AVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 MP4: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
- Color Space : Still: sRGB standard (with sYCC gamut) and Adobe RGB standard compatible with TRILUMINOS Color Movie: xvYCC standard (x.v.Color when connected via HDMI cable) compatible with TRILUMINOS Color
- Still Image Size 16:9 : 35mm full frame: L: 6000 x 3376 (20M) M: 3936 x 2216 (8.7M) S: 3008 x 1688 (5.1M) APS-C: L: 3936 x 2216 (8.7M) M: 3008 x 1688 (5.1M) S: 1968 x 1112 (2.2M)
- Still Image Size 3:2 : 35mm full frame: L: 6000 x 4000 (24M) M: 3936 x 2624 (10M) S: 3008 x 2000 (6.0M) APS-C: L: 3936 x 2624 (10M) M: 3008 x 2000 (6.0M) S: 1968 x 1312 (2.6M)
- Still Image Mode : RAW, RAW & JPEG, JPEG Extra fine, JPEG Fine, JPEG Standard
- Still Image File Format : JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
- Media Type : Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant)
- Still Image Max Effective Resolution : 24.3 megapixels (approx.)
- Flash sync. speed : 1/250 sec.
- Electronic Front Curtain Shutter : Yes (On / Off)
- Display : Graphic Display; Display All Info.; No Disp. Info.; Digital Level Gauge; Histogram
- Brightness Control : Auto / Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)
- Type : 1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (color) (2, 359, 296 dots)
- Field of View : 100%
- Magnification : Approx. 0.71 x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1)
- Diopter Adjustment : -4.0 to +3.0m-1
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : Approx. 5 x 3 7/8 x 2 3/8” (Approx. 126.9 x 95.7 x 59.7mm) (W/H/D) excluding protrusions
- Weight (Approx.) : With battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo Approx. 1 lb 5.1 oz. (599 g)
- Weight(Approx) (Main unit only) : Approx. 1 lb 3.6 oz. (556 g)
- PlayMemories Camera Apps : Yes
- View on TV : Yes
- Send to Computer : Yes
- View on Smartphone : Yes